Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Absolutely Gorges

Within the last week, I've made it up to the spectacular Barron Gorge three times. It takes about a 40 minute bike ride over unforgiving hills just to get to the base of the gorge. The first time, Peter, Niko, Nina and I took the Douglas Track up to Glacier Rock, a terrific overlook of exposed granite. The hike up started as rainforest, turned into steep, grassy hillside shrouded in clouds, and then into eucalyptus forest. The second time, Peter and I started at the base of the gorge and followed the Barron River for about 3km, rock-hopping, wading, and climbing up the side of waterfalls to reach a small lake near the base of the giant Barron falls. On the way up, we passed about ten different waterfalls, each unique and with its own private swimming hole. By the time we reached the top, the Barron falls was just around the corner of a large rock-face, but we had to turn around and head back due to the quickly diminishing sunlight. On the way back, we slid through some thick vegetation to avoid a slippery rock face and both ended up with multiple patches of intense pain from the Stinging Tree, which we clearly failed to recognize. After a painful return trip, we used a combination of hot candles, wax strips, and benadryl in an attempt to alleviate the pain and remove some of the microscopic hairs (and our own hair, unfortunately). Despite this slight set-back, we returned to the gorge once again, addicted to the beauty. This time, we wore long pants, long sleeves, and shoes (we were barefoot last time), even though we vowed not to touch anything green. We reached the top around dusk again, but this time we built ourselves a fire out of the abundant drift-wood, and slept under the stars on a protected rock shelf, using our backpacks as pillows. 

[Click on any image to view full-size!]


















13 comments:

  1. My thoughts exactly. Wow! Stinging tree sign got a huge smile, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow seems to be the consensus - so I'll take their 'wows" and add another one. Where are the other sightseers? You look like you are completely alone in the parks/on the trails!!!!
    ~me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't often run into other outastatas', especially in a place like this gorge, where rock-climbing is necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to know all my friends laugh when I am inflicted with severe pain ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gahh! What a great ending! I used to be an avid camper back in my boyscout days but I've never done it without a tent. Sounds perfect! (minus the severe pain lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just thought I should add that I think YOU are absolutely gorges.

    And we weren't laughing at your pain; we were laughing at the big bold sign you ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dan,
    I am enjoying reading about your adventures.
    I am jealous; RI seems dull by comparison. We miss you.
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I miss you all too! Did y'all get the postcard?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, I am so glad you took a picture of this sign, It wouldn't have been as funny If you would have just told us.( Oh, and, I do not laugh when my friend is inflicted with severe pain *smile*)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! It looks so beautiful out there! Stinging trees and all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete