Saturday, July 10, 2010

Rainforestation in Kuranda

Today was the first day of AustraLearn's "Culture and Adventure" orientation week. We took a bus up to the Rainforestation in Kuranda, just north of Cairns. The nature park was home to most of the iconic Australian species, as well as many others. Kangaroos, wallabies, dingoes, cassowaries, koalas, frogmouths, kookaburras, snakes, cane toads, wombats, blue-tongued skinks, saltwater crocodiles, and water dragons, just to name a few. A group of local aborigines performed tribal music and dance reminiscent of the flora and fauna of tropical Australia, and then taught us how to throw a boomerang and play a didgeridoo. Finally, we rode on an army DUKW through the rainforest and into a small pond, where we saw ancient tree ferns, various epiphytes and orchids, Ulysses butterflies, azure kingfishers, and many other small, colorful birds.
 
Click on any photo to view full-size.















6 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics...so which is your new pet...the koala or the snake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could've snuck that Koala home in my backpack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan! How about the venomous animals? Are they common?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous that you got to hold a koala!! I had a teacher in high school that studied in Australia and he used to play the didgeridoo once in a while for us! <3 Serena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. M - so far the only venomous animals I've seen in the wild are coneshells (I believe I saw a conus textile, but I was too wary to pick it up) and a few spiders which I've been told are venomous. Also Cane toads, which are EVERYWHERE - but I don't believe they are venomous to the touch (I picked one up and am still breathing). I'm sure once classes start I'll learn a lot more about all the venomous creatures!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Daniel, you are going to bring me back that koala,right?(lol)

    ReplyDelete